Ale Houses General


28/08/1869 .. GENERAL LICENSING DAY – The hotel keepers and publicans must have felt the advantage of this Borough Magistracy, inasmuch as from this time forth they are spared the trouble and expense of going to the Guildhall at Newport for a renewal of their licenses.  All the old licenses were renewed—and most of them without remark—with the exception of three, the consideration of which was adjourned for a fortnight.  With respect to new licenses, Mr. WHITE applied on behalf of David DEANE for a hotel at Weeks, also for James BUCKETT for the Elephant and Castle, a new house erected at the corner of Brunswick-street;  and Mr. HOOPER applied for a spirit license for Mr. COOKE, of the Oddfellows’ Arms, High-street.  The usual formalities had been complied with in all these cases, and no opposition was offered.  The magistrates, after deliberation, granted a beer license for Elephant and Castle, but pronounced their opinion that at present there were quite a sufficient number of spirit licenses granted, so that the three applications were refused.  (Observer)

The conduct of license holders has been good, and there have been no prosecutions.  The Military Authorities placed the Albion Inn, Newport-street, “out of bounds” to soldiers on and since 27th September, 1917.   During the past licensing year 3 person viz:- 2 male, and 1 female, have been prosecuted for drunkenness and fined.  (Observer) 

03/03/1888 .. Alfred BARTLETT landlord of the Eagle Tavern, Green-street and his wife Susan.  (County Press)

 13/02/1904 .. LICENSING SESSIONS – There are 95 licensed houses within the Borough, viz:  64 fully licensed, 10 beerhouses, 9 grocers, 3 beer “off” other than grocers, 4 restaurants, 3 chemists, and 2 wine merchants.  During the year 45 persons, viz: 35 males and 10 females, have been prosecuted and convicted for drunkenness, also one publican and one parent convicted for an offence against the Child Messenger Act.

Of the 74 public and beerhouses, 53 are owned by Brewery Firms, viz: Messrs. MEW LANGTON & Co. Newport (18).  Exors of the late Ed SWEETMAN, sen. Ryde (13).  Mr. James Garland DUFFETT, Ryde (5).  Mr. Edward SWEETMAN, jun. Ryde (4).  Messrs. GALE & Co., Horndean, Hants (4).  Mr. C. J. DASHWOOD, Newport (4).  Messr. WHITBREAD & Co. Romford and London (2).  Messrs. BRICKWOOD & Co., Portsmouth (2).  The Lion Brewery Co., Portsmouth (1). (Observer)

20/01/1916 .. Mr. James PORTER died 16 Jan 1916 aged 78, for 30 years the license holder of the “Prince of Wales”, leaving that house some twelve years ago, since which time he has lived in retirement.  (Times)

09/02/1918 .. LICENSING SESSIONS – There are 74 Licensed Premises in the Borough, viz: 54 fully licensed houses, 2 six-day ale houses, 3 “on” beerhouses, 1 restaurant beer and wines “off,” 12 grocers’ “off” licenses, 2 chemists’ wine “off.”  There are also 7 Registered Clubs, and 5 premises licensed for music and dancing.  1961 .. Since the reign of George 111, SMEED’s, the Union-street, Ryde, wine merchants, have held an “on” licence and could virtually operate as a public house — but hardly anyone knew about it.  The little known fact came to light on Monday when the firm successfully applied to the Borough Transfer Sessions for an “off” licence and surrendered the “on” licence. Said Mr. A. R. LIGHTFOOT  making the application on the firms behalf, “This is the first time I can remember surrendering a full licence.  It seems a shame really.”  An official of the firm told the “IW Times” later: “Very few of our customers knew they could buy drinks under an “on” licence in the same way as an ordinary pub. We only rarely got requests for it.  The reason for the request was because the continuance of an “on” licence would have meant extensive alterations to the premises to fulfil conditions required under new licensing regulations  shortly coming into force. (Times)

Comments are closed.